[Corpora-List] English is close to Sandinavian languages

Patrick Juola juola at mathcs.duq.edu
Fri Nov 30 15:34:51 CET 2012

This finding doesn't mean much; really all it says is that you are using the word 'closest' in a non-standard way. There's a well-attested history of English and the rest of the Germanic languages that puts English fairly firmly in the West Germanic family along with Frisian and Saxon, and at a greater distance, Dutch and standard German You're not going to trump documented history with simple similarity judgments.

If you're not talking about taxonomic closeness but simple similarity,.... well, the half of England that wasn't under Saxon control was under Danish control. What did you expect?