[Corpora-List] Google "region"-based searches

John F Sowa sowa at bestweb.net
Wed Nov 28 03:32:35 CET 2012

On 11/27/2012 9:04 PM, Angus Grieve-Smith wrote:
>> Does anybody know how to bypass the Google heuristics and
>> force it to use a simple regular expression for searching?
>
> Have you tried Verbatim?

Thanks for that suggestion. It took me quite a bit of searching to find how to request a verbatim search. I followed the pointer to

http://support.google.com/websearch/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1734130

That gave me the following information:
> But, for the occasions when you want to search for very specific words,
> you can use the Verbatim tool so that Google searches using the exact
> words you entered. Here's how:
>
> Click More at the top of the search results page.
> Click Verbatim.
> Type your search terms into the search box and type Enter.

I did that. But when I clicked 'More', the verbatim option was not listed in the menu. When I clicked 'Even more', the page of features did not include verbatim.

After more trial and error, I finally found the magic clicks:

1. Type the search string.

2. When you get the (unwanted) results, click 'Search tools'

3. Then click 'All results'.

4. Then click 'Verbatim'.

Now you get the results for the verbatim search -- but you no longer get the number of hits.

And that number is what I was looking for, not the list of web pages.

John