[Corpora-List] Google "region"-based searches

John F Sowa sowa at bestweb.net
Wed Nov 28 00:00:43 CET 2012

In ancient times (pre 21st century), Google supported Boolean expressions for searching. But now it's impossible to control their search in any predictable fashion.

For example, I wanted to count the number of web pages that used the phrase "enterprise integration pattern" and the word 'sql'.

But when I type just "enterprise integration pattern" by itself, I get 114,000 hits. When I add another word, the number should decrease. But the following combination gets 137,000 hits:

"enterprise integration pattern" sql

The following combination gets 274,000 hits:

"enterprise integration pattern" java

And the following gets 25,900,000 hits:

"enterprise integration pattern" java sql

I get the same numbers with a one-line search or with their so-called advanced search.

Does anybody know how to bypass the Google heuristics and force it to use a simple regular expression for searching?

John Sowa