[Corpora-List] Corpra & Literature

Gill Philip g.philip.polidoro at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 18:15:15 CET 2012

Dear Linda, Looking at the ways a character changes over the course of a book is endlessly fascinating. as are other chronological changes connected to the progression of plot. I'm doing some work on this and other things using the Harry Potter series: far less high-brow than Dickens, of course, but revealing nonetheless. My work here is still in progress, but you can see how I've been using my corpus data from some conference slides: Key words, pivotal words and leading words in "Harry Potter"<http://www.academia.edu/2059580/Key_words_pivotal_words_and_leading_words_in_Harry_Potter_>, Corpus Linguistics 2011 and "You have your mother’s eyes": Collocational resonance and symbolism in "Harry Potter" <http://www.academia.edu/2059546/_You_have_your_mothers_eyes_Collocational_resonance_and_symbolism_in_Harry_Potter_>, Researching and Applying Metaphor 2010 (although presented a year earlier, it's probably best understood after looking at the CL talk)

best, Gill