[Corpora-List] Corpra & Literature

Linda Bawcom linda.bawcom at sbcglobal.net
Mon Nov 26 02:42:07 CET 2012

Dear all,

Our semester conference topic is concerning using technology in the classroom. I would like to take this opportunity to introduce the basics of using corpora in the classroom [mainly ESL/English], especially in terms of collocations, frequency, and genre.  For this I am planning on using Mark Davis' COCA.

But I'd very much like to add how it can be used in literature, which is outside any research that I have done. I'm wondering if anyone can direct me to or is willing to share something they have already presented.  For example, what has always fascinated me is how you can see the way in which a character changes throughout a book by looking at collocations such as (as I have heard) with Nora in Ibsen's a Doll's House. That is, if possible, I would like something apart from an analysis of stylistics or a comparison of books in terms of i.e. lexical bundles.  Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Kindest regards, Linda Bawcom -------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: not available Type: text/html Size: 1345 bytes Desc: not available URL: <https://mailman.uib.no/public/corpora/attachments/20121125/32bbf8f6/attachment.txt>