[Corpora-List] Meta Question regarding sentiment/opinion/reputation was Re: Campagne d’étiquetage en sentiments de tweets et blogs

Trevor Jenkins trevor.jenkins at suneidesis.com
Mon Nov 19 14:35:18 CET 2012

On 19 Nov 2012, at 12:44, <coralie.reutenauer at orange.com> wrote:

> Here is a web site for sentiment tagging of tweets and blogs, where you can analyze brand e-reputation :

I've been pondering an issue with sentiment analysis and opinion mining that the above brings to a head. Are the three things: sentiment, opinion and reputation identical? Are we devaluing each or any of those descriptors by regarding them as one and same lumping them together like this?

The aggregate analysis of individual statements can be classified and conclusions drawn on sentiment and opinion but is it then valid to consider that aggregate as reputation. Especially when not every one has e-tools available with which to express their personal view. A brand may have an entirely different reputation online from offline. To draw conclusions from online only surely is an argument from silence.

I'm aware that my comment here may only be true for English rather than some dialect of it or for any other languages. For example the three concepts have different signifiers in certain signed languages, which match the different lexical realisations in English.

Regards, Trevor.

<>< Re: deemed!

-------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: not available Type: text/html Size: 2317 bytes Desc: not available URL: <https://mailman.uib.no/public/corpora/attachments/20121119/eb63841c/attachment.txt>