[Corpora-List] Plagiarism of Leonid Brezhnev

Tristan Miller miller at ukp.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de
Sun Nov 4 16:50:33 CET 2012

Greetings.

On Sunday 04 November 2012, Yuri Tambovtsev wrote:
> I have analysed three books signed by the late General Secretary of the
> communist party of the former Soviet Union. It turned out that it was
> not Leonid Brezhnev who wrote them. He hired three other men who wrote
> these books for him.

It wouldn't be the first time the holder of that office laid claim to writing something he really didn't. Does anyone really believe that it was Stalin and not Arnold Chikobava who wrote "Marxism and Problems of Linguistics"? As others have already remarked, though, it's not at all unusual for politicians to use ghostwriters.

> May I ask you a question now? I wonder if I can
> call it plagiarism?

If they were works for hire, no, you can't call it plagiarism. It may be intellectually dishonest, but it's not as if Brezhnev copied passages from a prior work without the knowledge or consent of the original author.

Regards, Tristan

-- Tristan Miller, Doctoral Researcher | Tel: +49 6151 16 6166 Ubiquitous Knowledge Processing Lab | Fax: +49 6151 16 5455 Department of Computer Science | miller at ukp.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de Technische Universitšt Darmstadt | http://www.ukp.tu-darmstadt.de/ -------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: not available Type: application/pgp-signature Size: 198 bytes Desc: This is a digitally signed message part. URL: <https://mailman.uib.no/public/corpora/attachments/20121104/423028ce/attachment.sig>