[Corpora-List] (no subject) - USING OTHER PEOPLE'S RESEARCH WORK, DATA, OR METHODOLOGY

Krishnamurthy, Ramesh r.krishnamurthy at aston.ac.uk
Tue May 29 14:44:52 CEST 2012

Hi Fatima/Mike Sorry if someone else has already raised these points, but I have been in Namibia for the past week, running an intensive corpus workshop, and may not have read the emails in this thread in the correct sequence.

#1 It is important to specify a "SUBJECT" in any email: a) a blank 'subject' field may be treated as spam/junk by some mailer systems b) it is easier to reply to a specific posting to a discussion-list if there is a 'subject' to reply to

#2 I think there is a difference between legal and ethical/professional considerations: a) legally, it may or may not be OK to use someone else's published work/data/methodology without their permission - I'm not sure b) but ethically/professionally, I personally would always at least inform the author of what I was doing, and thank them for providing stimulus/resource/direction for my own work.

#3 I certainly think it would be unethical, unprofessional (and also perhaps illegal?) to "claim it to be the developer teams' own work". Surely some form of acknowledgement is required in such a situation, even if permission as such is not required?

Best Ramesh

Ramesh Krishnamurthy Visiting Academic Fellow, English Studies, School of Languages and Social Sciences Aston University, Birmingham, UK: http://www1.aston.ac.uk/lss/staff/krishnamurthyr/ Director, ACORN (Aston Corpus Network) project: http://acorn.aston.ac.uk/ Pre-Aston career details: http://www.btinternet.com/~ramesh28/

Message: 13