[Corpora-List] (no subject)

WILLIAMS Geoffrey williams at univ-ubs.fr
Tue May 22 21:10:49 CEST 2012

Dear All,

I agree with what has been written. What is published is published.

However, ever sent in a project proposal which was rejected, and later finding it recycled? Borrowing ideas and taking them on is a nasty phenomenon that is not new, cannot be easily stopped, but happens far too often. There is a great deal of short term memory about and the difference between heavily inspired and downright plagiarism is a thin one. A post doc of mine pointed out a case of plagiarism recently and was told by the inspired persons that they had changed the statistical measure, so the reuse of the concept did not need acknowledgement. Does it cost so much to give a reference?

We had a bad case of plagiarism in our university recently, and no action was taken, so as to avoid a scandal. Same has happened elsewhere in France. We preach one thing to students, and then let real academic plagiarism go unchallenged. This is not good.

Best

Geoffrey