[Corpora-List] (no subject)

Gill Philip g.philip.polidoro at gmail.com
Tue May 22 11:47:11 CEST 2012

Dear Fatimah, corpora readers,

The question really does concern what is and what is not public, as Mike said earlier. Independently of who has done the research, or who has paid for it, if the work has been published (in the widest sense, including conference presentations, working papers, e-prints as well as paper-print journals and books) then anyone can do what they want with it... provided that they cite the source.

If the work has *not* been published, but has been made available in confidence (to supervisors, journal editors, peer reviewers, etc) and is then published - presumably without the permission of nor reference to the original author - then that would almost certainly be illegitimate. One exception would be if the research is part of a larger project in which work is expected to be shared between participants in that project.

Unfortunately plagiarism happens, and the victims are usually young/beginning researchers who do not yet have a network of colleagues to defend their interests. I sincerely hope your question was just theoretical.

best, Gill