ETSs Research & Development division has an opening for an asociate research engineer in the NLP & Speech Group. The Group currently consists of about 15 Ph.D. level research scientists in areas related to NLP and speech. Its main focus is on foundational research as well as on development of new capabilities to automatically score written and spoken test responses in a wide range of ETS test programs including TOEFL(R)iBT and GRE(R).
BASIC FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES * Assist in the implementation of speech technology and natural language processing (NLP) components of medium- to large-scale, complex research projects for ETS researchers, testing program areas, and external clients. Consult with research scientists in the application, modification, and documentation of such systems using established technologies.
* Work effectively in a team setting and take an active role in contributing to team discussions and decisions.
* Analyze, design, modify, develop, document and implement technologies for executing medium- to large-scale, complex Speech technology and NLP research and development tasks. Identify unexpected problems in the application of Speech and NLP tools, and develop solutions.
* Consult with research supervisory staff on the development of technologies for executing medium- to large-scale, complex Speech technology and NLP research and development tasks. Contribute to the implementation and support of new Speech and NLP methodologies to support research system development.
* Assist in the preparation of NLP development components of proposals and cost/resource estimates.
* Maintain continuing awareness of recent advances in speech and natural language processing, machine learning, and software development methodologies.
* Implement components of technical documentation of NLP software systems, solutions and results.
* Attend area-wide staff training and development sessions.
Experience and Skills ------------------------------
EDUCATION A Masters degree in Computer Science, NLP, Language Technology, Computational Linguistics, Linguistics or a closely related field is required.
EXPERIENCE A strong programming background, in languages such as Java, Python, Perl, and C, and facility with computational algorithms are essential. Coursework in statistics and experience in using machine learning toolkits are highly desirable. Experience with speech processing software (e.g. HTK, Praat, Matlab) is desirable.
OTHER REQUIREMENTS Knowledge of UNIX and Windows computing environments. Familiarity with UNIX tools and scripting languages. Familiarity with algorithms, methods and data structures in common use in the processing of speech and language data. Excellent verbal and written communication.
APPLYING Interested parties can apply for the position through the following website:
If there are any questions, please contact:
Dave Yanchuk (609) 406-5291 dyanchuk at ets.org