[Corpora-List] Joan Acocella has a review of Henry Hitchings' "The Language

Yuri Tambovtsev yutamb at mail.ru
Sun May 13 16:39:06 CEST 2012

Dear corpora members, I wonder if you read the book and the review on it in New Yorker. In case, you have any opinion, send it to me. This is what I wrote to prof.Johanna Rubba = Write back to yutamb at mail.ru Yuri Tambovtsev You must understand that many linguists as well as I, never read Acocella's review. Neither have we read the opus itself. May be Joan is correct. By the title of the book I can tell, it is not deep. Be well, Yuri Tambovtsev=

'Joan Acocella has a review of Henry Hitchings' "The "The Language Wars" in this week's New Yorker. It stinks. Real bad. She can't tell the difference between prescriptive and descriptive rules. She accuses Hitchings of making illogical arguments and then makes several of her own (accepting language change is tantamount to going back to the dentistry of Samuel Johnson's time???) She equates vernacular languages with slang. I've rarely seen anything this bad in the NYer.

I sent in a response letter.

Jo

Dr. Johanna Rubba, Professor, Linguistics Linguistics Minor Advisor English Department Cal Poly State University, San Luis Obispo Tel. 805.756.2184 Dept. Tel 805.756.2596 E-mail: jrubba at calpoly.edu -------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: not available Type: text/html Size: 1843 bytes Desc: not available URL: <https://mailman.uib.no/public/corpora/attachments/20120513/22829ce7/attachment.txt>