[Corpora-List] Ambiguous words in English and their frequency

Rich Cooper rich at englishlogickernel.com
Thu Jan 26 09:59:48 CET 2012

Dear Karen and Linda,

I found one of Linda’s references “Semantic Interpretation and the Resolution of Ambiguity” at

http://catdir.loc.gov/catdir/samples/cam034/850189 78.pdf

It’s the outline and a part of the Introduction that lists words, and ways in which words can be ambiguous. It also gets into the mix of syntax and semantics that Hirst (the author) thinks is appropriate. A total of 19 pages are shown, then the rest is kept until you buy a copy, but you may get some useful overview in those 19 pages.

HTH,

-Rich

Sincerely,

Rich Cooper

EnglishLogicKernel.com

Rich AT EnglishLogicKernel DOT com

9 4 9 \ 5 2 5 - 5 7 1 2

_____

From: corpora-bounces at uib.no [mailto:corpora-bounces at uib.no] On Behalf Of Linda Bawcom Sent: Wednesday, January 25, 2012 8:07 PM To: corpora at uib.no Subject: [Corpora-List] Ambiguous words in English and their frequency

Subject: Re: [Corpora-List] Ambiguous words in English and their frequency

Dear Karen,

(I had to send this to the corpora list because I get bounced mail for you).

I would like to help but am unsure what you mean by an ambiguous word. I can understand that a particular word in a sentence might be ambiguous. For example, "Mary's a funny person" could mean that she is comical or that she is strange. However, words are used in some kind of context. Therefore, in the example, 'funny' is only ambiguous if I have insufficient context to help me decide the particular use of that polysemous word. In short, I believe we do not think of words themselves as being ambiguous. What may be ambiguous (e.g. in need of clarification) is the way a word/phrase is used in a particular context or context of situation. Perhaps you can offer a few examples. Apart from that, I can only offer the following from my small data base where ambiguity is discussed:

Aspects of English (2nd)

202,205,262,264,270 etc.

Bolinger,D.

Harcourt

1975

Discourse Structure &Anaphora

3,48,50-4,56-7,60,108,123,128,131

Fox, Barbara A.

CUP

1987

Computational Analysis of English

21,26,27,39,43,51, etc.

Garside,R.Leech.G.Sampson, G..

Longman

1987

Corpora in Applied Ling.

44-5,145,149

Hunston, Susan

CUP

2002

Semantics (2nd edition)

31,38,42-3,48-50,86,105-8etc

Palmer, F.R.

CUP

1981

Corpus, Concordance,Col

104-05

Sinclair, John

OUP

1991

Relational Models of the Lexicon

114,117,227

Walton Evens, M. (ed)

CUP

1988

Semantic Interpretation and the Resolution of Ambiguity

84

Hirst,Graeme

CUP

1987

Semantic Interpretation and the Resolution of Ambiguity

7-Sep

Hirst,Graeme

CUP

1987

Text and Corpus Analysis

188-9

Stubbs, Michael

Blackwell

1996

Semantic Interpretation and the Resolution of Ambiguity

139.141

Hirst,Graeme

CUP

1987

Semantic Interpretation and the Resolution of Ambiguity

145

Hirst,Graeme

CUP

1987

Semantic Interpretation and the Resolution of Ambiguity

5-6,86,92-4,143,149,157

Hirst,Graeme

CUP

1987

Semantic Interpretation and the Resolution of Ambiguity

4-6,69,112,157,212-13

Hirst,Graeme

CUP

1987

Semantic Interpretation and the Resolution of Ambiguity

11

Hirst,Graeme

CUP

1987

Semantic Interpretation and the Resolution of Ambiguity

212

Hirst,Graeme

CUP

1987

Relational Models of the Lexicon

291-92,316,319,33,328-29

Walton Evens, M. (ed)

CUP

1988

Semantic Interpretation and the Resolution of Ambiguity

Hirst,Graeme

CUP

1987

Semantic Interpretation and the Resolution of Ambiguity

9-12,38,131-152,215

Hirst,Graeme

CUP

1987

Semantic Interpretation and the Resolution of Ambiguity

131-36

Hirst,Graeme

CUP

1987

Semantic Interpretation and the Resolution of Ambiguity

150-52

Hirst,Graeme

CUP

1987

Semantic Interpretation and the Resolution of Ambiguity

134-36

Hirst,Graeme

CUP

1987

Kindest regards,

Linda Bawcom

Kindest regards,

Linda Bawcom

_____

From: "FORT, Karen" <Karen.FORT at inist.fr> To: "corpora at uib.no" <corpora at uib.no> Sent: Wed, January 25, 2012 1:33:02 PM Subject: [Corpora-List] Ambiguous words in English and their frequency

Hi all,

I need to find this information (the proportion of ambiguous words in English and their frequency). For example, we know that in French 8% of the words represent 30% of the ambiguity. Of course, it's very rough, but it's only to have a rough idea.

Can somebody help me with this (of course, I searched for a ref but could not find anything precise)?

Thank you in advance,

Regards,

Karën FORT Ingénieure/Engineer et/and doctorante/PhD student INIST-CNRS / LIPN 2, allée de Brabois 54500 Vandoeuvre-lès-Nancy France Bureau/Office: H112 +33 (0)3 83 50 46 36