[Corpora-List] translating french determiners into other languages

Margot Colinet margotcolinet at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 17:40:50 CET 2012

I'm a PhD student working in formal semantics on the meaning of some French determiners, such as *'le moindre N'* which can be translated into English as 'any N at all', 'the slightest N', 'a single N' when it occurs in negative sentences (see (1)) and as 'any N' or 'each and every N' in positive sentences (see (2)):

(1) Je suis totalement ignorante, je ne connais pas *la moindre* *ville* de ce pays. I'm totally ignorant, I don't know *a single town* of this country.

(2) Paul est impressionnant, il connaît *la moindre ville* de ce pays. Paul is amazing, he knows* each and every town* of this country.

I'm interested in comparing French with other Romance languages such as Italian and Spanish but also with English. I'm looking for a parallel corpora tool (preferably online) which would find the most frequent translations of the determiners from French to these three languages, and provide a list of parallel sentences for each possible translation.

Any reference to available tools would be highly appreciated. You can answer directly to me, I will summarize your tips in a later post.

Thanks you for your help!

Margot Colinet Laboratoire de Linguistique Formelle Paris Diderot-Paris 7 -------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: not available Type: text/html Size: 1414 bytes Desc: not available URL: <https://mailman.uib.no/public/corpora/attachments/20120120/af3434e5/attachment.txt>