[Corpora-List] Framework for EmoText

Alexandre Trilla alex at atrilla.net
Fri Jan 13 22:55:57 CET 2012

Dear Alexander and all,

your app is very appealing. Thank you for sharing it. I am also interested in this lexical-affect sensing field. In fact, I have developed a similar service, named EmoLib:

http://dtminredis.housing.salle.url.edu:8080/EmoLib

which predicts a sentiment label (i.e., positive, negative or neutral) instead of an emotion. The approach that is currently available, though, is based on a dictionary of affect instead of being automatically learnt. I once compared EmoLib to a tool similar to yours:

http://atrilla.net/index.php?article=blog&specific=35

and I qualitatively found that Machine Learning approaches tend to perform better at the expense of having a poorer generalisation ability (domain-specific limitation according to the topic/s of the training text). Or put in a different way, affective-dictionary-based approaches perform more modestly but are more generalisable (thus avoiding domain transfer problems?). Do you have a similar feeling with respect to this? At least this is my mind and that's why I have not delivered a service with any of the learnt methods that EmoLib also implements (basically the Multinomial Naive Bayes, the Vector Space Model, LSA, Multinomial Logistic Regression and SVM). Which technique does EmoText use?

Moreover, EmoLib first splits the sentences of the input text, then predicts the sentence-wise sentiment labels independently, and finally draws the affective wash at paragraph level. Do you follow a similar approach in EmoText?

Thank you, indeed.

Alex