[Corpora-List] Looking to gather a student translation corpus

Stella seotagni at usp.br
Thu Jan 12 09:34:03 CET 2012

Lisa,

We have a translation corpus English into Portuguese (Literary) and Portuguese into English (Technical Scientific - Cooking) which is available online: CorTrad (www.fflch.usp.br/dlm/comet) You click on CorTrad on the left hand side. The Literary part has been translated by students (novice translators). The Cooking corpus has been translated by advanced students.

You get the original plus 3 versions of the translations. The first one is the students' original version, without any corrections.

Let me know if this helps.

Best

Stella ----- Original Message ----- From: "Lisa N. Michaud" <michaudl at merrimack.edu> To: <corpora at uib.no> Sent: Wednesday, January 11, 2012 7:20 PM Subject: [Corpora-List] Looking to gather a student translation corpus

My apologies for the cross-posting; I posted this on CALICO and it was suggested that I reach out to this community as well.

I am working on adapting machine translation metrics for the purpose of evaluating student-written translations from source text (both in terms of generating an overall "score" for accuracy and identifying the nature/source of errors). My current application is for students learning ancient languages, translating texts from the L2 into their L1, but I can imagine other applications as well.

What I need for the next step in this project is a large collection of translations written by students. I know that translating text is something done more with ancient/dead languages than modern languages, and my local colleagues can't really help, but I was hoping someone in this community might do exercises with his or her students that might fit the bill.

Let me know if you are interested - and thanks in advance!

Lisa

-- Dr. Lisa N. Michaud, Assistant Professor of Computer Science Merrimack College, North Andover, Massachusetts http://www.merrimack.edu/lmichaud