[Corpora-List] Handling a Large Text Archive

Christopher Tribble ctribble at clara.co.uk
Wed Jan 4 21:27:00 CET 2012

David Lee has some useful pointers...

http://www.uow.edu.au/~dlee/CBLLinks.htm

Best

Chris

-- IN CHESHIRE TODAY Dr Christopher Tribble TEL || +44 161 929 4411 EMAIL || ctribble at clara.co.uk WEB || www.ctribble.co.uk BLOG || http://ctribble.blogspot.com

-----Original Message----- From: corpora-bounces at uib.no [mailto:corpora-bounces at uib.no] On Behalf Of Mark Davies Sent: 04 January 2012 17:21 To: corpora Subject: Re: [Corpora-List] Handling a Large Text Archive

I've appreciated the comments and suggestions so far from others on this topic.

It got me wondering -- although I personally don't use special-purpose text analysis (i.e. word frequency or concordancing) programs much, I'd like to provide a nice overview of 4-5 of the most useful programs for the students in my Corpus Linguistics class this semester. I'm aware of some of the more well-known (Windows-based) programs, such as WordSmith and AntConc. But I'm wondering if anyone here has created (or is aware of) a nice web page with links to several different programs, listing their strengths and weaknesses.

I've googled and have found several pages with links to "text analysis" programs, but most of them deal with programs that are designed to work with very small corpora (i.e. a handful of Word documents), and few if any of these surveys are up to date. Any good suggestions on up-to-date web pages, with a focus on (mostly Windows-based) programs that can handle at least moderate-sized corpora?

Thanks in advance,

Mark Davies

============================================ Mark Davies Professor of (Corpus) Linguistics Brigham Young University (phone) 801-422-9168 / (fax) 801-422-0906

http://davies-linguistics.byu.edu