[Corpora-List] Comparing n-grams / authorship

Yuval Marton yuvalmarton at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 19:53:12 CEST 2012

A few years ago, there was some controversy regarding whether one could use off-the-shelf compression techniques such as gzip for authorship attribution. If you are interested in trying out something like that, you might want to have a look at

Yuval Marton, Ning Wu, and Lisa Hellerstein. "On Compression-Based Text Classification". Proceedings of the 27th European Conference on Information Retrieval (ECIR), Spain, March 2005. Abstract<http://www1.ccls.columbia.edu/%7Eymarton/pub/ecir05/finalforwebabs.pdf>. Full paper here <http://www.springerlink.com/index/M24DHW0XDMREHE64> or here<http://www1.ccls.columbia.edu/%7Eymarton/pub/ecir05/final.pdf>. Click here for the errata note!<http://www1.ccls.columbia.edu/%7Eymarton/pub/ecir05/onCompressionForClassificationErrata4.htm>

... and the papers cited within.

Pro: very easy to use. Simply split each chapter to a "training" and "test" parts, and follow recipe in the paper. Con: Not the most standard way authorship attribution tasks are usually carried out.

Yuval Marton IBM Research