[Corpora-List] Corpora suitable for studying VP ellipsis

Matthew Gerber gerberm2 at msu.edu
Fri Apr 13 04:37:43 CEST 2012

Alan,

Just in case you haven't seen it, Nielsen wrote a dissertation on this subject. It appears to be corpus based, so maybe he knows of a good resource:

@PHDTHESIS{nielsen2005corpus,

author = {Leif Arda Nielsen},

title = {A corpus-based study of Verb Phrase Ellipsis Identification and Resolution},

school = {King's College},

year = {2005}, }

I did some work on resolving "implicit" arguments for nominal predicates - conceptually similar to VP ellipsis:

@INPROCEEDINGS{gerber2010beyond,

author = {Gerber, Matthew and Chai, Joyce},

title = {Beyond {NomBank}: A Study of Implicit Arguments for Nominal Predicates},

booktitle = {Proceedings of the 48th Annual Meeting of the Association for Computational Linguistics},

year = {2010},

pages = {1583--1592},

address = {Uppsala, Sweden},

month = {July},

publisher = {Association for Computational Linguistics},

url = {http://www.aclweb.org/anthology/P10-1160} }

Cheers, Matt