[Corpora-List] the ebb and flow of inclusion of words in OED?

chris brew cbrew at acm.org
Mon Apr 25 23:12:08 CEST 2011

I think part of the 1600 bump must correspond to William Shakespeare (1564-1616, first folio published 1623, second folio published 1632) and that a corresponding bump from 1380-1400 corresponds to Chaucer (you have to set the granularity to 10 years to see it clearly)

Something else happened in the 1650-1659 decade. I have a plausible hypothesis but no more. James Blount published a dictionary: * * *Glossographia; or, a dictionary interpreting the hard words of whatsoever language, now used in our refined English tongue* (1656)

and there are a fair number of OED entries that reference it, but I haven't run the stats to verify whether this is the reason for the bump.