[Corpora-List] Community-driven corpus building

Martin Reynaert reynaert at uvt.nl
Fri Apr 15 16:34:20 CEST 2011

Dear Trevor,

Trevor Jenkins wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Apr 2011, Martin Reynaert <reynaert at uvt.nl> wrote:
>

>> What Stefan defines here appears to me to be a killer application for
>> corpus building.
>>

> Jumps up and down excitedly ... then realises he'd forget the existence of
> such a button (and the app behind) after a few days.

Of course, we should design our plug-in properly, facilitating people wont to forget about it ;0) So after installation and initialisation, it should be 'on' by default, with the optimal (from the corpus-building point of view) settings.
>> ... donating this very text ...
>>

> You have already ``donated'' this text ... to the list's archive.

Under the terms I build my Dutch corpus, this 'donation' is only in part so. I have not explicitly donated this text to be incorporated in any corpus and given consent to it being further distributed. My posting may very well end up in a web-as-corpus corpus and it probably will also be archived in the Internet Archive as well as many other places. But it cannot just be copied and distributed and referred to as part of a *shareable* corpus...

Implicitly I may have given consent, however. That is if the maintainers of the Corpora List explicitly state somewhere in its 'terms of use' that any posting implies that the poster passes on his own copyright to the site, or (better still) that any posting will be under Creative Commons Licence such and so (allowing redistribution, preferably allowing remixing). As regards this List, I do not know. I check these things almost for a living, but currently only for sites eligible for the Reference Corpus of Dutch (called: SoNaR).

Yours,

Martin