[Corpora-List] AntConc 3.2.2 released for Windows and Mac OS X

Michal Ptaszynski ptaszynski at media.eng.hokudai.ac.jp
Wed Apr 13 04:46:04 CEST 2011

Great news Laurence,

I have two issues that haven't been either noticed or perhaps required in Antconc. The first is that Antconc does not read files with file names containing 2-bite characters (even after changing the encoding in Global Settings). Since you work in Japan, didn't you have any problems with that? The second is calculating ranks of words. I noticed that words that have the same occurrence (hit-rate) have subsequent ranks (which probably comes

from alphabetical sorting). This means that if there is 1000 words of only 1 occurrence per each, the word starting with "Aa" will have rank = 1, and word starting with "Zz" will have rank = 1000, although statistically they should be of the same rank. Do you consider the above as issues or is it irrelevant in your research?

Best, -- Michal PTASZYNSKI Institute of Engineering, Hokkai-Gakuen University High-Tech Research Center, Intelligent Techniques Laboratory 6, Minami 26, Nishi 11, Chuo-ku, Sapporo, 064-0926, Japan ptaszynski at hgu.jp, ptaszynski at ieee.org TEL: +81-11-841-1161 (ext.: 7796), FAX: +81-11-551-2951 http://arakilab.media.eng.hokudai.ac.jp/~ptaszynski/

------------------------------------------- Od: Laurence Anthony <anthony0122 at gmail.com> Do: Corpora list <corpora at hd.uib.no> Data: Tue, 12 Apr 2011 20:55:28 +0900 Temat: [Corpora-List] AntConc 3.2.2 released for Windows and Mac OS X

Dear Corpora Members,

I'm happy to announce a new version of the freeware software AntConc (3.2.2) for all versions of Windows and Macintosh OS X (tested on OS X 10.4.11):

http://www.antlab.sci.waseda.ac.jp/software.html

I created this a few years back but did not release it officially because I had a few initial reports that it did not launch properly. I've tested it for the past few months without problems, so I hope you all find it useful.

I've also started a dedicated AntConc discussion list, which I encourage users to join: http://groups.google.com/group/antconc

Best wishes,

Laurence Anthony Center for English Language Education in Science and Engineering (CELESE) Waseda University, Japan http://www.antlab.sci.waseda.ac.jp/