[Corpora-List] Text mesage corpus

david hardisty david.hardisty at netcabo.pt
Tue Apr 12 00:29:48 CEST 2011

Laura Christopherson wrote: “When I used the term "text messages," I meant it in a specific way (not a general usage of "things/documents/files in text"). Specifically, I meant SMS (short messaging service) as Benjamin indicated - messages created on cellphones via a service provider's (like AT&T) service for this sort of communication.

Regarding the "personal" idea, absolutely yes - ultimately each message is personal to someone. I'm more interested in text messages that are not a collection of messages which are personal **to the collector** - i.e. not the collector's own messages to/from his family/friends or messages that are created by only the collector's family/friends.”

(My first message on this forum ....) Laura, I do not know if you are tied to the specific features of “traditional” SMS texts, or how big a corpus you want, but have you thought about using Twitter and Tweets and the Twitter webpage, and then building up your own corpus by selecting tweeters that post messages that meet your research criteria (if hopefully any tweets do). Advantages of Twitter? Public medium (you can restrict your corpus to tweets that have already been made public) and it is pull technology so the texts can come to you by following, RSS feeds, or you can pull them off the Twitter site. David Hardisty Lisbon Portugal -------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: not available Type: text/html Size: 1928 bytes Desc: not available URL: <https://mailman.uib.no/public/corpora/attachments/20110411/592aeea2/attachment.txt>