[Corpora-List] Spell checking in other languages

maxwell maxwell at umiacs.umd.edu
Mon Apr 11 17:11:40 CEST 2011

On Mon, 11 Apr 2011 16:15:22 +0200, Martin Reynaert <reynaert at uvt.nl> wrote:
> We have so far heard interesting news about German and English spelling
> correction benchmarks.

I work primarily with low density languages. It's not always clear in those languages whether there is a "standard" spelling system or not. There may be dictionaries, but often the spelling changes when words get affixed (as in English try/tries), and dictionaries typically do not cover that. And different dictionaries for a single language may disagree.

Is anyone aware of spelling standards for multiple languages? I'm not so much looking for spelling standards for particular languages, like Spanish, although in the absence of more general resources links to language-particular standards may be of interest too. Rather, I'm looking for a website or other resource that provides links to multiple standards. The Open Office repository (http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Dictionaries) is one such, but there may be others.

Mike Maxwell