[Corpora-List] Ethical review of spoken corpus collection

Janne Bondi Johannessen jannebj at iln.uio.no
Tue Apr 5 18:10:04 CEST 2011

We have similar restrictions in Norway. All corpora containing audio and video are considered to contain sensitive data, and we are not supposed to use the corpus data for other purposes than have been planned and, importantly, conveyed to the informants beforehand. The person protection law is very strict for corpora that contain no secrets and no personal information (except the fact that the informants can be recognised).

However, we have managed to find a solution that seems to work - in cooperation with the state institution that deals with the person act and research data. We have agreed with them that if we tell the informants whose speech will be part of a corpus that the goal for this particular research project is to develop a speech corpus for linguistic research, then it is the corpus that is the research project rather than particular research questions. We also do not have to dispose of the data when the project is finished because we have given the project a very long life time - eternal.

In our country, too, there are very strict laws for researchers, while anything can be done legally in the name of art, for example extremely revealing and damaging documentaries about individual people.

Janne Bondi Johannessen.