[Corpora-List] Fwd: Re: Looking for Text Corpora for emotion analysis(list of emotion words with classification)

Michal Ptaszynski ptaszynski at media.eng.hokudai.ac.jp
Mon May 31 04:52:25 CEST 2010

Dear Bei Yu

Unfortunately, the description of the dictionary has appeared mostly in my publications and in a small number of others.

The dictionary has been gathered for about 20 years by a researcher in Japanese lexicography, Akira Nakamura, and contains about 2000 expressions divided into 10 categories. A small number of the expressions appear in more than one category. Nakamura has gathered the expressions manually

from Japanese literature. It was done subjectively, although I have never met any other collection of emotion words performed in such a proficiency. Nakamura was also changing the number of emotion categories during his work, trying different options and mappings of popular emotion categories onto the Japanese language. The final (present) set of categories consists of emotion labels said to be the most appropriate for the Japanese language.

As for the positive and negative words, the dictionary does not differentiate which emotion category is positive, and which is negative. This is, I think, one of the profoundities of this dictionary. As you can easily notice, some categories could be used to express both types of attitudes (e.g. "surprise" could be both positive or negative). However, in my papers I have used a, partially superficial, mapping of those categories on a 2-dimensional affect model by James Russell (valence and polarity). The combination of Nakamura and Russell goes well in most cases, but I had to agree with the fact that the emotion type equivalents are not straightforward. For example, for some positive emotions their negative equivalent would be more than one and vice versa (e.g. equivalent for emotion type "dislike" would be both "foundness" and "joy"). This way of looking at emotions also goes along well with Bob Solomon's claims (see e.g. "Against valence" in "Not Passion's Slave" http://www.psyclab.com/stone/Against%20Valence.doc ) and I would bet that eventually this kind of fuzzy emotion labeling would be widely accepted for English as well.

The only minus of the dictionary by Nakamura is that it covers only about 10-20% of modern Japanese language (I confirmed that several times experimentally). This could mean two things: 1. the dictionary is out of date; or, more probably, 2. the rest of emotive expressions in Japanese is either phrase or sentence based.

There have been some attempts to generate an emotion corpora automatically, but honestly cannot recommend any, as most of them are too simplistic.

At present I am working on developing a method to expand Nakamura's dictionary or generate a new phrasal dictionary.

Best regards and good luck with the research.

PS. I had an interesting conversation about emotions in language and sentiment analysis with Liz Liddy, whom you probably know, some time ago. She came to Hokkaido University for an invited lecture. -- Michal PTASZYNSKI Language Media Laboratory, Graduate School of Information Science and Technology Hokkaido University, Address: Kita-ku, Kita 14 Nishi 9, 060-0814 Sapporo, Japan ptaszynski at media.eng.hokudai.ac.jp, ptaszynski at ieee.org http://arakilab.media.eng.hokudai.ac.jp/~ptaszynski/

------- Treść oryginalnej wiadomości ------- Od: "Bei Yu" <byu at syr.edu> Do: "Michal Ptaszynski" <ptaszynski at media.eng.hokudai.ac.jp> Kopia dla: Temat: Re: [Corpora-List] Looking for Text Corpora for emotion analysis(list of emotion words with classification) Data: Mon, 31 May 2010 00:16:04 +0900

Hi Michael:

Too bad I don't understand Japanese. Do you have any English material about your dictionary? More specially I am wondering how the dictionary was created and the numbers of positive and negative words in the dictionary.

Thanks, Bei

-- Bei Yu Assistant Professor School of Information Studies Syracuse University