[Corpora-List] adverbial 'behind'

Ken Litkowski ken at clres.com
Sat May 29 19:38:05 CEST 2010

I'd agree with Jim. At the preposition project web page <http://www.clres.com/cgi-bin/onlineTPP/find_prep.cgi>, the applicable definition would, IMHO, be "controlling or responsible for (an event or plan)". Since it is common to have a phrase like "I left my daughter behind", the quote is somewhat poor English and tends to evoke this adverbial sense. It's something of a garden path sentence. Since "behind" doesn't go well with "lost", you have to do a double take and then choose the preposition interpretation.

Ken