[Corpora-List] LEARNER CORPORA

Piotr Bański bansp at o2.pl
Fri May 28 19:50:08 CEST 2010

On 2010-05-28 18:11, Tayyab Ijaz wrote:
> Actually I am enrolled in M.Phil and I want to do my thesis on the topic " *A
> Corpus Based Study of Errors committed by Pakistani Learners of English at
> Graduate Level". ***I have read S. Granger s articles. Do you suggest
> something else?

S. Granger is a classic but you can get much more to read off the Net. So yes, I suggest a few searches.

> Is this topic suitable for research? Me and my co-researcher
> are going to collect learner corpora of Graduation Level.

There are conference chains devoted to this topic, cf. e.g. http://calico.org/

When designing your corpus, do devote some time to its format (and think of going beyond ICLE).

Here's one relevant example of a learner corpus with solid, well-thought design: the FALKO corpus of learner German -- try

http://www.sfs.uni-tuebingen.de/~dm/events/aall09/hirschmann-et-al.pdf

(a presentation, but you can find a paper on FALKO on the Net as well)

I have designed a prototype in TEI, reported on in the proceedings of BUCC-2010 ( http://www.fb06.uni-mainz.de/lk/bucc2010/ ), but that should only be treated as food for further thought. FALKO, on the other hand, is a working, searchable resource.

Good luck,

Piotr