[Corpora-List] Experiment in selection of referential expressions

Anja Belz a.s.belz at itri.brighton.ac.uk
Mon May 17 12:53:31 CEST 2010

Dear list members,

We are currently running the fourth instalment of our experiment in which we ask people to select referential expressions (REs) in the context of a simple encyclopaedic text. The idea is to investigate to what extent people agree when choosing REs.

The experiment is designed as a multiple choice task, where REs can be selected from a menu. The texts are short and can usually be done in under a minute.

We would like to ask any native speakers of English who have a few minutes to spare to help us complete the experiment. It would be great if participants could do at least three texts, but you can do as many as you like.

There is more information on the experiment website. To participate, simply read the instructions and then click on the 'start experiment' button at the bottom of the page:

http://www.nltg.brighton.ac.uk/home/Anja.Belz/REC10

Any non-native speakers who would like to try out the experiment can do so at this alternative website:

http://www.nltg.brighton.ac.uk/home/Anja.Belz/TESTDRIVE

Many thanks for your time,

Anja Belz

-------------------------------------------------- Dr Anja Belz Principal Lecturer Natural Language Technology Group CMIS, University of Brighton Lewes Road, Brighton BN2 4GJ, UK Web: http://www.brighton.ac.uk/nltg/home/Anja.Belz Tel: +44 (0)1273 642909 Fax: +44 (0)1273 642908

Visiting Senior Research Fellow Natural Language & Computational Linguistics Group Department of Informatics, University of Sussex --------------------------------------------------