[Corpora-List] CFP CSK10 : Commonsense Knowledge

Benjamin Van Durme vandurme at cs.jhu.edu
Wed Apr 7 01:29:49 CEST 2010

Call for Paper Submissions

CSK 2010

Commonsense Knowledge

http://csk.media.mit.edu

AAAI Fall 2010 Symposium

Arlington, VA

Submission deadline: May 14, 2010 at 23:59 (PST) ============================================= When we are confronted with unexpected situations, we deal with them by falling back on our general knowledge or making analogies to other things we know. When software applications fail, on the other hand, they often do so in brittle and unfriendly ways. The sheer amount of commonsense knowledge one would need to represent makes it challenging to acquire, to represent, to reason efficiently with, and to harness in applications.

A growing number of research projects now seek to use knowledge collections in a wide variety of applications, including computer vision, speech processing, robotics, dialogue and text understanding, and apply them to real-world tasks such as healthcare and finance, where brittleness is unacceptable. At the same time, new application domains are giving fresh insights into desiderata for common sense reasoners and guidance for knowledge collection efforts.

-------------------------------- Organizers -------------------------------- Catherine Havasi, MIT Media Lab Doug Lenat, Cycorp Bejamin Van Durme, Johns Hopkins University

We are looking for papers in areas normally associated with commonsense, including but not limited to: large knowledge bases, knowledge acquisition, inference, formal models, and intelligent user interfaces.

We are also looking for papers which appeal to a wide variety of researchers beyond those usual areas, including but not limited to story understanding and generation, lexical semantics, ontology, the semantic web, dimensionality reduction, contexts, mental prostheses, and games with a purpose. We are also interested in papers using commonsense or commonsense techniques to better understand domain specific data.

Submission

We invite submissions of full papers (up to 6 pages), short papers (2 pages), and system demos (up to 2 pages). Accepted papers (both long and short) from the symposium will be published as an AAAI technical report. These papers should be original material, though we welcome system demos from previously established/published systems. Late breaking ideas are encouraged to submit short papers.

Please use our online submission system by May 14th, midnight PST.

------------------------------- Program Committee ------------------------------- James Allen, University of Rochester Chitta Baral, Arizona State University Johan Bos Peter Clark, Boeing Bill Dolan, Microsoft Ken Forbus, Northwestern University Andrew Gordon, The University of Southern California Roxana Girju, University of Illinois at Chicago Henry Kautz, University of Rochester Maria Liakata, University of Wales Henry Lieberman, MIT Media Lab Dan Moldovan, The University of Texas, Dallas Erik Mueller, IBM Research Patrick Pantel, Yahoo! Satoshi Sekine, NYU Michael Witbrock, Cycorp Alexander Yates, Temple University