[Corpora-List] IE practice: Searching for names in emails

Yorick Wilks Yorick at dcs.shef.ac.uk
Mon Jun 1 21:58:08 CEST 2009

Does anyone recall research on the detection/annotation of proper names in emails? This has been done in Information Extraction on prose texts since the early 1990s but I see someone has patented any search for (proper) names in email text, which seems absurd in 2007. It seems to me a pubic duty to contest this kind of patenting of the obvious (and the consequent restraints on research) and Id be glad to be reminded of clear cases of pre-2007 prior art on this. Yorick Wilks]