[Corpora-List] History of POS tagging

Serge Sharoff S.Sharoff at leeds.ac.uk
Fri Feb 27 17:38:19 CET 2009

I think we're getting into the 'Four Yorkshiremen' sketch. This is what we dug up as a reference for our tagger: @Article{nikolaeva58,

author = {Nikolaeva, T.N.},

title = {Soviet developments in machine translation: {Russian} sentence analysis},

journal = {Mechanical Translation},

year = 1958,

volume = 5,

number = 2,

pages = {51--59},

url = {http://www.mt-archive.info/MT-1958-Nikolaeva.pdf} }

however, I'm sure any early MT system not based on a full-form lexicon used a tagger of some sort. Serge

-----Original Message----- From: corpora-bounces at uib.no on behalf of Diana Santos Sent: Fri 27/02/2009 16:27 To: CORPORA Subject: [Corpora-List] History of POS tagging

Before I get more answers to my question

>> the first instance of POS tagger in the
>> literature was Ken
>> Church's, as a first step towards full parsing of English.

let me note that if I had read with enough attention Stig Johansson's contribution to the Corpus Linguistics: An International Handbook, I would have had plenty of material in his section 6.1 Part-of-speech tagging ...

So the current winner is:

Greene, Barbara B. & Gerald M. Rubin. "Automated Grammatical Tagging of English". Providence, R.I.: Department of Linguistics, Brown University. 1971.

I am still interested in earlier documents/papers/reports if they exist, in any language!

Thanks again Diana