[Corpora-List] Call for participation: Morpho Challenge 2009

Mikko.Kurimo at tkk.fi Mikko.Kurimo at tkk.fi
Fri Feb 27 12:19:08 CET 2009

Hi,

Could you send this CFP to the corpora list. Thanks,

Mikko ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- http://www.cis.hut.fi/morphochallenge2009/

Unsupervised Morpheme Analysis -- Morpho Challenge 2009

Part of the EU Network of Excellence PASCAL Challenge Program and organized in c ollaboration with CLEF. Participation is open to all.

The objective of the Challenge is to design a statistical machine learning algor ithm that discovers which morphemes (smallest individually meaningful units of l anguage) words consist of. Ideally, these are basic vocabulary units suitable fo r different tasks, such as text understanding, machine translation, information retrieval, and statistical language modeling.

The scientific goals are:

* To learn of the phenomena underlying word construction in natural language s

* To discover approaches suitable for a wide range of languages

* To advance machine learning methodology

Morpho Challenge 2009 is a follow-up to our previous Morpho Challenge 2005, 2007

and 2008. The task of Morpho Challenge 2009 is similar to the Morpho Challenge 2008, where the aim was to find the morpheme analysis of the word forms in the d ata. There are some changes in the evaluation and a new Arabic task. New *Machine Translation* tasks are added (from Finnish to English and from German to English) to evaluate the performance of the morpheme analysis.

Participation in the previous challenges is by no means a prerequisite for parti cipation in Morpho Challenge 2009. Everyone is welcome and we hope to attract ma ny participating teams. The results will be presented in a workshop. Please read

the rules and see the schedule at the home page. The datasets are available for

download.

If you now decided to participate in Morpho Challenge, please contact the organi zers and ask to be added in our mailing list. We will use this mailing list to p rovide news about the tasks, data and evaluations.

We are looking forward to an interesting challenge!

Mikko Kurimo, Sami Virpioja and Ville Turunen

Adaptive Informatics Research Centre, Helsinki University of Technology

The organizers