[Corpora-List] POS-tagger maintenance and improvement

Serge Sharoff s.sharoff at leeds.ac.uk
Wed Feb 25 12:59:18 CET 2009

My feeling is that this partly stems from the nature of statistical models, with the same pattern applicable to POS tagging, statistical MT and Machine Learning. You cannot improve your model by spotting an individual error. You have to enlarge your corpus or use a different training algorithm, and pray that this will cure the error in question. It is not that there are no works on improving POS taggers (see SVMTagger, Stanford Tagger, hunpos, etc all appearing recently). They report some incremental improvements over the state of the art without necessarily resolving the problems you spotted.

Serge