[Corpora-List] Frequency lists (corrected)

Rayson, Paul rayson at exchange.lancs.ac.uk
Mon Feb 23 12:34:16 CET 2009

Dear Chris,

There is a companion website for the Leech et al book at:

http://ucrel.lancs.ac.uk/bncfreq/

and if you have a look in the foreword there are references to other earlier frequency lists such as West, Thorndike and Lorge etc. The foreword is also online:

http://ucrel.lancs.ac.uk/bncfreq/samples/foreword.pdf

Are you just interested in lists for English?

Regards,

Paul.

Dr. Paul Rayson

Director of UCREL

Computing Department, Infolab21, South Drive, Lancaster University, Lancaster, LA1 4WA, UK.

Web: http://www.comp.lancs.ac.uk/computing/users/paul/ <http://www.comp.lancs.ac.uk/computing/users/paul/>

Tel: +44 1524 510357 Fax: +44 1524 510492

From: corpora-bounces at uib.no [mailto:corpora-bounces at uib.no] On Behalf Of CRuehlemann at aol.com Sent: 23 February 2009 09:50 To: CORPORA at UIB.NO Subject: [Corpora-List] Frequency lists (corrected)

Dear All

I'm interested in two questions related to word frequency lists:

(i) The published frequency lists I am aware of include the following few:

BNC-based:

Kilgarriff, A. (1998). ‘BNC database and word frequency lists.’ http://www.kilgarriff.co.uk/bnc-readme.html <http://www.kilgarriff.co.uk/bnc-readme.html>

Leech, G., P. Rayson and A. Wilson. (2001). Word Frequencies in Written and Spoken English: Based on the British National Corpus. London: Longman

CIC-based:

McCarthy, M. J. (1998). Spoken Language and Applied Linguistics. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press

Could anybody point me to more word frequency lists available either in print or on the internet?

(ii) As far as I know, the definite article the tops most word frequency lists derived from general corpora. Is anybody aware of any published in-depth discussion of this finding in terms of reference, be it anaphoric, cataphoric or deictic?

Any help is greatly appreciated. A summary will be posted.

Chris

-------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: not available Type: text/html Size: 11697 bytes Desc: not available Url : https://mailman.uib.no/public/corpora/attachments/20090223/b0326bc6/attachment.txt