[Corpora-List] Frequency lists

CRuehlemann at aol.com CRuehlemann at aol.com
Mon Feb 23 10:48:05 CET 2009

Dear All

I'm interested in two questions related to word frequency lists:

(i) The published frequency lists I am aware of include the following few: BNC-based: Kilgarriff, A. (1998). ‘BNC database and word frequency lists.’ _http://www.kilgarriff.co.uk/bnc-readme.html_ (http://www.kilgarriff.co.uk/bnc-readme.html)

Leech, G., P. Rayson and A. Wilson. (2001). Word Frequencies in Written and Spoken English: Based on the British National Corpus. London: Longman

ICE-based: McCarthy, M. J. (1998). Spoken Language and Applied Linguistics. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press

Could anybody point me to more word frequency lists available either in print or on the internet?

(ii) As far as I know, the definite article the tops most word frequency lists derived from general corpora. Is anybody aware of any published in-depth discussion of this finding in terms of reference, be it anaphoric, cataphoric or deictic?

Any help is greatly appreciated. A summary will be posted.

Chris

-------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: not available Type: text/html Size: 7583 bytes Desc: not available Url : https://mailman.uib.no/public/corpora/attachments/20090223/5dd4937e/attachment.txt