[Corpora-List] New corpus of linguistics conference transcripts freely available!

Ute Römer uroemer at umich.edu
Mon Feb 9 22:19:03 CET 2009

Dear all,

This is to let you know that the John Swales Conference Corpus (JSCC) is now freely available for download from <http://jscc.elicorpora.info/download> http://jscc.elicorpora.info/download (click on the "Download the corpus" button).

The corpus contains the transcribed proceedings (presentations and Q&A sessions) of a conference that took place at the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor in June 2006 to celebrate the official retirement of Professor John Swales. It is the first publically available corpus of its kind.

I would like to thank a number of people who were involved in the compilation of the JSCC:

- Begońa Bellés-Fortuńo, Inmaculada Fortanet-Gómez and Christine A. Räisänen for video-taping the conference presentations that comprise the JSCC,

- Universitat Jaume I in Castellón, Spain, for providing part of the funding for the transcription of the JSCC recordings,

- Stephen DiDomenico, Caitlin Gdowski, Reese Havlatka, Kristen Keller, and Mercedes Querol-Julián and other researchers from GRAPE (Group for Research on Academic and Professional English, Universitat Jaume I, Castellón, Spain) for creating the transcripts,

- former and present ELI Corpus Linguistics post-doctoral research fellows Stefanie Wulff and Matthew Brook O’Donnell, and ELI Corpus Linguistics research assistants Miranda Kozman and Jesse Sielaff for checking the transcripts against the audio files and for doing the XML encoding and validation,

and, of course, John Swales for supporting the project at all stages!

A first journal article (by Stefanie Wulff, John Swales and Kristen Keller) based on the JSCC will be published in the next issue of English for Specific Purposes and I look forward to seeing more studies that explore the language of the JSCC presentations and Q&A sessions! I would appreciate it if you let me know (or email elicorpora at umich.edu) about any presentations or publications that make use of the corpus.

With thanks and best wishes,

Ute

Dr. Ute Römer

Director of the Applied Corpus Linguistics Unit English Language Institute University of Michigan

Email: <mailto:uroemer at umich.edu> uroemer at umich.edu Phone: +1 734 763 7133

Fax: +1 734 763 0369

<http://www.lsa.umich.edu/eli/> http://www.lsa.umich.edu/eli/

<http://www.uteroemer.com/> http://www.uteroemer.com MICASE: <http://legacyweb.lsa.umich.edu/eli/micase/index.htm> http://legacyweb.lsa.umich.edu/eli/micase/index.htm

MICUSP: <http://www.micusp.org/> http://www.micusp.org Generation 1.5: <http://gen15.micusp.org/> http://gen15.micusp.org/

JSCC: <http://jscc.elicorpora.info/download> http://jscc.elicorpora.info/download

Surface mail address: Dr. Ute Römer University of Michigan English Language Institute 500 E. Washington Street Ann Arbor, MI 48104-2028 USA

-------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: not available Type: text/html Size: 17556 bytes Desc: not available Url : https://mailman.uib.no/public/corpora/attachments/20090209/d8810a71/attachment.txt