[Corpora-List] Universal POS Tagset

Serge Sharoff S.Sharoff at leeds.ac.uk
Mon Feb 2 14:53:08 CET 2009

Another research project with similar goals is MTE: http://nl.ijs.si/ME/V3/msd/html/

For a recent experiment on designing a tagset following this framework take a look at: Serge Sharoff, Mikhail Kopotev, Tomaz Erjavec, Anna Feldman, and Dagmar Divjak. Designing and evaluating a Russian tagset. In Proceedings of the Sixth Language Resources and Evaluation Conference, LREC 2008, Marrakech, 2008. http://corpus.leeds.ac.uk/mocky/lrec2008-msd.pdf

Serge

-----Original Message----- From: corpora-bounces at uib.no on behalf of Adam Teichert Sent: Fri 30/01/2009 20:53 To: corpora at uib.no Subject: [Corpora-List] Universal POS Tagset

Hello all.

I've been looking for a POS tagset that is general enough to effectively tag "any" natural language. (I'm looking at Linguistic Typology / Universal Implications so I want to compare POS taggings across many [possibly obscure] languages.) Does anyone know of such a tagset?

If anyone is interested in what I've found so far, this paper seems relevant:

"Induction of Fine-grained Part-of-speech Taggers via Classifier Combination and Crosslingual Projection" (Elliott Franco DrŽabek, David Yarowsky)

http://acl.ldc.upenn.edu/W/W05/W05-0807.pdf

Also, I'm aware of some efforts at Microsoft Research India, to perhaps develop a "universal" tagset for Indian Languages:

http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/groups/mls/default.aspx

Thanks for any ideas.

--Adam (R. Teichert)

MS Student