[Corpora-List] 5th Conference on Intercultural Rhetoric and Discourse -- Call for Participation

Ute Römer uroemer
Fri Apr 24 21:00:08 CEST 2009

Dear all,

I thought this conference may be of interest to some of you.

Best wishes... Ute

**************************************************************************** *******************************

Are you interested in how culture influences spoken and written communication?

Would you like to have an opportunity to meet with others who share your interest?

Are you wondering what defines a culture?

Are you just curious about intercultural rhetoric?

Please join us at the 5th Conference on Intercultural Rhetoric and Discourse in Ann Arbor June 11-13, 2009.

We are pleased to invite you to attend this exciting, interdisciplinary conference that will focus on the cultural factors—beyond those related to geographic region—that shape communication. This year’s conference centers on the way contextual occasions affect communicative and textual outcomes across a wide range of intercultural settings. Papers will emphasize such areas as:

* Cross-cultural comparisons

* Cross-disciplinary differences

* Business climates

* Legal traditions

* A range of “small cultures”

Plenary Speakers

Ulla Conner , Indiana University-Purdue University: Intercultural Communication: A Call for Interactive Accommodation

Fethi Helal, University of Jendouba, Tunisia: The Franco-American “AIDS War” (1983-1987): A Discourse Analysis

Priscilla Rogers, Stephen J. Ross School of Business. University of Michigan: “How May I Help You?” Call Center Conversations Are Lessons in Politeness for Intercultural Business Communication

A Sampling of our Presentations

* Expression of Modality in Newspaper Editorials: A Cross-Linguistic Study of Editorialists’ Modal Choices

* Hip Hop and Globalization

* I’m Afraid That I Should Say I Can’t: Negotiating Refusals in L2 Business English Emails

* Metadiscourse in Research Articles Written By Chinese Writers

* New Texts and Contexts: A Comparative Study of English-Language Web Pages of Universities in the U.S.

* No Small Feat: The Use of Communication Competencies in a Local- Global Gymnastics Business

* The Rhetoric of Fatwas: A Gricean Perspective

* Reaching out to (small) Cultures, Linking to (big) Discourse: Using the Web to Examine the Interaction between Public Speech and Insider Group Discourse

* Self-Enhancement and Self-Effacement As Value-Laden Norms

* Description of Genre Structures of Legal Texts

* Discourse Flows, Interdiscursivity and the Construction of Small Cultures

For information on housing, registration and travel go to the conference website: <http://legacyweb.lsa.umich.edu/eli/eli1/CIRD5> http://legacyweb.lsa.umich.edu/eli/eli1/CIRD5

Conference E-mail: <blocked::mailto:cidr5 at umich.edu> cird5 at umich.edu

Supported by: The University of Michigan English Language Institute, Department of Linguistics, and the International Institute

Dr. Ute Römer Director of the Applied Corpus Linguistics Unit English Language Institute University of Michigan Email: <mailto:uroemer at umich.edu> uroemer at umich.edu Phone: +1 734 763 7133 Fax: +1 734 763 0369

<http://www.elicorpora.info/> http://www.elicorpora.info

<http://www.uteroemer.com/> http://www.uteroemer.com

Surface mail address: Dr. Ute Römer University of Michigan English Language Institute 500 E. Washington Street Ann Arbor, MI 48104-2028 USA

-------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: not available Type: text/html Size: 10848 bytes Desc: not available Url : https://mailman.uib.no/public/corpora/attachments/20090424/2f532a55/attachment.txt