[Corpora-List] Launch of a new web resource: Michigan Corpus Linguistics

Ute Römer uroemer
Wed Apr 22 18:21:51 CEST 2009

Dear all,

The Corpus Linguistics Unit at the University of Michigan English Language Institute has just launched a new website: <http://www.elicorpora.info> http://www.elicorpora.info. The website brings all Michigan Corpus Linguistics projects together in a single location and contains sections with information and resources on the following projects:

1. The Michigan Corpus of Academic Spoken English (MICASE), with links to the online search interface, freely accessible MICASE sound files, tutorials for teachers and learners, MICASE-based teaching materials and kibbitzers, and a lot more (see http://micase.elicorpora.info/);

2. The Michigan Corpus of Upper-level Student Papers (MICUSP), our almost completed corpus of advanced student writing samples from a wide range of disciplines (see http://micusp.elicorpora.info/);

3. The John Swales Conference Corpus (JSCC), including download information for this recently-launched freely available academic speech corpus (see http://jscc.elicorpora.info/);

4. The Michigan Generation 1.5 project (Gen 1.5), a project that aims to better understand and support the instructional needs of international student writers and Generation 1.5 writers (see http://gen15.elicorpora.info/); and

5. An overview of our Corpus Training and Research activities (CTR), including information about our ongoing research projects, conferences we are/were involved in organizing, and the training we provide in corpus analysis (see http://ctr.elicorpora.info/).

The website features an audience-based navigation system which should make it easy for you to find the materials you are interested in. We have labeled every page as relevant (or not relevant) for one of three target audience groups: Teachers, Learners, and Researchers. In the right-hand menu bar on the page you can apply a teacher/learner/researcher filter by clicking one of three tabs (it is, of course, also possible to look at the page in "all" mode and not apply any filters but see all available resources).

I would like to thank the members of the Michigan Corpus Linguistics team (see http://www.elicorpora.info/about) who put in a lot of work in the website over the past few months. Thanks are also due to Kate Boyd for providing expert advice on graphic design issues and creating our new unit logo.

I hope you will enjoy exploring the website and will find the resources useful! If you have any questions or comments on the website or our projects, please feel free to contact us at <mailto:elicorpora at umich.edu> elicorpora at umich.edu.

Happy surfing and all the best, Ute

Dr. Ute Römer Director of the Applied Corpus Linguistics Unit English Language Institute University of Michigan Email: <mailto:uroemer at umich.edu> uroemer at umich.edu Phone: +1 734 763 7133 Fax: +1 734 763 0369 http://www.elicorpora.info <http://www.elicorpora.info/> http://www.uteroemer.com <http://www.uteroemer.com/>

Surface mail address: Dr. Ute Römer University of Michigan English Language Institute 500 E. Washington Street Ann Arbor, MI 48104-2028 USA

-------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: not available Type: text/html Size: 7083 bytes Desc: not available Url : https://mailman.uib.no/public/corpora/attachments/20090422/d49771bc/attachment.txt