[Corpora-List] english lexicon

Eric Atwell eric
Thu Apr 2 23:59:41 CEST 2009

Tine,

I don't think LDOCE has what you asked for, words and their inflexional forms - at least not straightforwardly. An LDOCE entry gives the base or root form but NOT inflected forms unless they are irregular; and even then, it is not straightforward to extract the inflected forms. For example, compare the entry for "feat":

((feat)

(1 F0032500 !< feat)

(3 fi : t)

(5 n !<)

(7 0 !< !< ---- !< ----T)

(8 a clever esp !. bodily action !, showing strength

!, skill !, or courage : *46 It was quite a feat to

move that piano by yourself))

and the start of the entry for "eat":

((eat)

(1 E0007900 !< eat)

(3 i : t)

(5 v !< ate *CC / et !, eIt = eIt / !, *45 eaten *CC /

!"i : tn /)

(7 100 !< T1 (*CA UP *CB *44) !; *64 I *DE !< FO-- !<

(8 to take in through the mouth and swallow

(solid food or soup) : *46 Eat your dinner !! *44

!| (fig !.) *46 That big house eats up money)

Field 5 shows wordclass and inflected forms; "feat" is a noun (n) and no plural is shown (so it must be regular); "eat" is a verb (v) and irregular inflections are shown

I suggest it will be easier to extract inflected froms from CELEX http://www.ldc.upenn.edu/Catalog/CatalogEntry.jsp?catalogId=LDC96L14

or CUV2 (Computer-usable version 2 of English wordlist with inflected forms, phonetic transcriptions and syntactic information) http://ota.oucs.ox.ac.uk/headers/0710.xml

I hope this helps

Eric Atwell, Leeds University