[Corpora-List] Commercial/competitive value of training data

Seth Grimes grimes at altaplana.com
Wed Oct 22 15:28:32 CEST 2008

Have others considered the competitive value of training data?

I'm referring to data that would be usable for commercial purposes, unlike data provided through the Linguistic Data Consortium (LDC) for research purposes. The trade-off for a commercial organization is the opportunity to recapture the expense of annotating a data set against the risk of accelerating time to market, or promoting a sale at one's own expense, of a competing product or service.

My premise is that a software system's greatest value lies in what it can do with the training data rather than in the training data itself. But what considerations do others see?

Thanks,

Seth

-- Seth Grimes Alta Plana Corp, analytical computing & data management

Intelligent Enterprise magazine (CMP), Contributing Editor grimes at altaplana.com http://altaplana.com +1 301-270-0795