[Corpora-List] (no subject)

Scott A. Crossley sacrossley at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 15:38:31 CEST 2008

Try the Linguistic Inquiry and Word Count Software (LIWC).

It is basically a semantic categorization tool that includes categories for positive and negative emotions as well as many others (fear, anxiety, etc...).

That might help a bit.

It is not free, but if you send your texts to the James Pennebaker (the main PI), I think he will run the analysis for you. The tool itself is about $100.

http://www.liwc.net/

Scott Crossley, Ph.D. Linguistics/TESOL

Department of English Mississippi State University http://www.msstate.edu/dept/english/tesol/tesolfaculty.html (662) 325-2355

Institute for Intelligent Systems University of Memphis http://mnemosyne.csl.psyc.memphis.edu/iis/

-----Original Message----- From: corpora-bounces at uib.no [mailto:corpora-bounces at uib.no] On Behalf Of Anthony Jappy Sent: Wednesday, October 22, 2008 7:44 AM To: Corpora at uib.no Subject: [Corpora-List] (no subject)

Hi,

I have a colleague who has been manually analyzing texts in order to determine whether they are positive or negative with respect to their central theme. For obvious reasons, he would now like to automate the process.

Does anyone know of any way of determining whether the texts in an electronic corpus are positive or negative with respect to their theme: i.e. given a set of texts on capital punishment, is there any way of determining reasonably accurately whether author A’s contribution can be seen as more positive than author B’s, or whether a given text is positive or downright negative? My only experience in this area is with attempts to replicate with students reported results concerning semantic prosodies, certainly not the most economical way of going about the problem mentioned above.

There may have been a thread on this problem, but I'm afraid I don't recall it.

Any bibliographical references would be gratefully accepted.

TJ

Department of English and North-American Studies, University of Perpignan-Via Domitia, 66860 Perpignan Cedex, France tel : +33 (0)4 68 66 22 76 fax : +33 (0)4 68 66 17 28 e-mail : tony at univ-perp.fr