[Corpora-List] "Multi-encoded" corpora

Albretch Mueller lbrtchx at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 06:08:21 CEST 2008

On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 8:59 PM, Linas Vepstas <linasvepstas at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 2008/10/6 Albretch Mueller <lbrtchx at gmail.com>:
>>
>> It looks like this
>> ~
>> <applet code=Geometry codebase="../../Geometry" archive=Geometry.zip
>> height=250 width=250>
>> <param name=e[3] value="disk;circle;radius;O,P;0;0;0;random">
>> . . .
>> <param name=e[21] value="B1;point;first;Bpar;0;0">
>
> Comes off as yet-another non-standard encoding
> for graphics. I'd stick to established standards.
>
> The "standard", commonly accepted way of embedding
> line-drawings these days is "SVG", the scalable vector
> graphics format. The goal of SVG is to avoid the multitudinous
> difficulties with postscript/pdf, the defacto popular format.
>
> --linas
~

Yes, SVG seems to be the way to go (I understand the basics of it, but I have never used it myself), but even though it should suffice for the description of the drawings, I wonder about its capability for interactivity and if it is possible to produce with it such things as animated images. Also as I understang things postscript/pdf can internally produce/render graphics based on SVG ~

I was more interested in the possibility of the high level interactivity that an applet would give you, which would be great as a teaching/demostration aid, and in what seems to be an ad hoc description language to describe all charts in The Elements. I contacted the author and he told me: ~ Dear Albretch Mueller,

I began writing the applet in 1996 when Java first came out, and it developed as I did more and more of the Elements.

xml was not available at the time as web browsers didn't recognize it.

Sincerely,

Dave Joyce

Clark University

~ ________________________________________ From: Albretch Mueller [lbrtchx at gmail.com] Sent: Monday, October 06, 2008 9:57 PM To: David Joyce Subject: your use of java applets to render accompanying drawings from The Elements

Dear Professor Joyce, ~

I found your use of java to plot the charts of The Elements very insightful and talked about it in the corpora mailing list in relation to "multi-encoded" corpora ~

http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?A1=ind0810&L=corpora ~

I was wondering about the parametrization of your applet did you devise some way to fully describe all the representations of charts in the elements? ~

Why not using xml and just using a back end file and passing the relative url as parameter? ~

The relationship of those xml documents to the actual text would turn then interesting ~

THank you very much

lbrtchx