[Corpora-List] BAWE corpus now archived and available

Martin Wynne martin.wynne at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Tue Oct 7 12:07:46 CEST 2008

The administrative steps necessary to obtain access to the BAWE corpus were requested by the depositors of the corpus. The majority of resources in the OTA are free to be downloaded without this step, and we encourage depositors to follow this option. However, there are numerous good reasons why a depositor may wish to, or be required to do this. Funders may require them to keep a log of who is using the corpus, or it may be that the potential sensitivity of the data may require that a record is kept of the authorized users. Funders and research institutions have rights over resources which are created by people they are funding or whom they employ. Corpora contain material over which individuals or organizations have rights. So while it is clearly in the interests or researchers that access to corpora be as open and unrestricted as possible, there are legal and ethical reasons why it is often necessary to identify or authenticate users.

As part of the CLARIN project, we are working with other archives on a system making use of the latest access and authorization infrastructure (in fact I am sitting in a workshop in Berlin on this topic right now). Unfortunately, the necessary agreements and technologies are not yet in place for implementing these systems in the international environment at this stage, but CLARIN is working hard on building an infrastructure where you can register simply by logging on via your home institution.

Best wishes, Martin Head of the Oxford Text Archive