[Corpora-List] Examples of items which exhibit a semantic prosody

Crayton Walker c.p.walker at bham.ac.uk
Tue Nov 18 18:32:01 CET 2008

Dear All,

Can any one help me? I am currently having another look at semantic prosody.Does anyone know of a list of the words (and word combinations) which have been used as examples of items which display a positive, or more often, a negative prosody? I know of the well-known examples such as cause, provide, set in, budge etc. but would like to get hold of a more complete list of the items which have been cited over recent years.

Many thanks for any help you can give.

Dr. Crayton Walker Lecturer University of Birmingham ________________________________

From: corpora-bounces at uib.no on behalf of Eric Atwell Sent: Tue 18/11/2008 1:37 PM To: Marcia Veirano Cc: CORPORA at uib.no; cllt at mailman.rice.edu Subject: Re: [Corpora-List] [CLLT/CORPORA] help with world Englishes

Marcia,

I have collected 200,000-word samples of English-language text from websites from 90 different countries around the world, including many where English is L2, and all your specfied variants except Scottish English (Scotland does not have its own Top Level Domain, unfortunately).

Is this any use to you?

Eric Atwell, Leeds University

On Tue, 18 Nov 2008, Marcia Veirano wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I'm currently carrying out research on world Englishes and was wondering
> if anybody could help me find corpora (that could be analysed by computer
> programmes such as WordSmith Tools) that are representative of American,
> Irish, Australian, Scottish and Canadian English and of English as L2.
>
> Thank you very much for your help,
>
> Marcia

-- Eric Atwell,

Senior Lecturer, Language research group, School of Computing,

Faculty of Engineering, UNIVERSITY OF LEEDS, Leeds LS2 9JT, England

TEL: 0113-3435430 FAX: 0113-3435468 WWW/email: google Eric Atwell