[Corpora-List] Tools for historical languages?

Martin Reynaert reynaert at uvt.nl
Wed Nov 19 18:40:35 CET 2008

Dear Stefanie,

I am working on a tool to perform spelling normalization for large corpora - contemporary or historical - in the framework of a project for the National Library in the Netherlands.

The tool is called TICCL (pronounce 'tickle') for: Text-Induced Corpus Clean-up. The prototype was described in:

Non-interactive OCR post-correction for giga-scale digitization projects

Author(s): Martin Reynaert

Reference: In A. Gelbukh (Ed.), Proceedings of the Computational Linguistics and Intelligent Text Processing 9th International Conference, CICLing 2008. Lecture Notes in Computer Science Vol. 4919/2008, Berlin / Heidelberg: Springer, pp. 617-630.

The focus there was on OCR-misrecognition errors, but TICCL handles any kind of spelling variation. It is largely language-independent, but assumes an alphabet.

A production grade version should become available as free software sometime early next year. I intend to announce that event on this list.

Greetings,

Martin Reynaert ILK (Induction of Linguistic Knowledge) TiCC (Tilburg centre for Creative Computing) University of Tilburg

http://ilk.uvt/nl