From: Kathryn B Laskey [mailto:klaskey at gmu.edu] Sent: Saturday, November 08, 2008 8:34 PM To: Kathryn B Laskey (co-chair) Subject: EARLY REGISTRATION ENDS NOV 11: ONTOLOGY FOR THE INTELLIGENCE COMMUNITY (OIC 2008)
Please circulate to interested parties within your organization.
Call for Participation
OIC 2008: ONTOLOGY FOR THE INTELLIGENCE COMMUNITY
Toward Effective Exploitation and Integration of Intelligence Resources
George Mason University, Fairfax, Virginia
December 3-4, 2008 (Classified session December 5 for those with TS/SCI clearances only.
For further information contact: oic-2008-ts-sci at cox.net <mailto:oic-2008-ts-sci at cox.net> )
The tasks of collecting, analyzing, and disseminating intelligence grow more complex with every year, the emergence of new technologies and new types of threats. New approaches are required to enable greater flexibility, precision, timeliness and automation of analysis in response to rapidly evolving threats. Ontology-based technology as applied in areas such as bioinformatics has demonstrated the possibility of gains along all of these dimensions. The time is ripe to extend these gains to other spheres.
This conference will bring together experts on ontology-based technology with particular experience in the problems facing the intelligence community. It will feature invited talks from prominent ontologists and intelligence community leaders, as well as submitted papers focusing especially on the creation of public-domain ontology resources to support the work of intelligence analysts.
Registration is now open at http://c4i.gmu.edu/OIC08. Register soon - earlybird rate ends November 11.
Accommodations at Hyatt Fairlakes: special rate of $129 per night for OIC attendees, http://www.fairlakes.hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels/group-booking.jsp?_requesti d=6128.
* Eric Little and Kedar Sambhoos: Improving Situational Awareness
with Ontologically-enhanced Graph Matching
* Kristo Miettinen: The Ontology of Systems
* Pontus Svenson and Christian Mårtenson: Information Model for Non-hierarchical
* Kathryn Laskey, David Schum and Paulo Costa: Ontology of Evidence
* Mihai Boicu, Gheorghe Tecuci and David Schum: Intelligence Analysis Ontology
for Cognitive Assistants
* Dru McCandless and Steve Matechik: An Ontology Based Approach to Flexible
Automated Video Analysis and Retrieval
* Mithun Balakrishna and Munirathnam Srikanth: Automatic Ontology Creation from
Text for National Intelligence Priorities Framework (NIPF)
* Martin Thurn and Terry Patten: Ontologies and Discovery in the Intelligence Community
* Fabian Neuhaus: Ontology-based Technologies--Technology Transfer from Bioinformatics?
* Jim Starz, Jason Losco, Brian Kettler, Rachel Hingst and Christopher Rouff: Leveraging
Emergent Ontologies in the Intelligence Community
* Ian Bailey: Working with Extensional Ontology for Defence Applications
* Daniel Reininger, Jeff Mershon, Jef Armstrong, Ray Kulberda, Andrew Cohen,
P. Robert Bullard and David Ihrie: Semantic Wiki for Tactical Intelligence Applications:
* Dean Brown and Dominick Profico: ICD Wiki - Framework for Enabling Semantic Web
Service Definition and Orchestration
* Patrick Cassidy: Toward an Open-Source Foundation Ontology Representing the Longman's
Defining Vocabulary: The COSMO Ontology OWL Version
* Bob MacGregor and Craig Norvell: Common Logic for an RDF Store
* Mohamed Keshk and Sally Chambless: Model Driven Ontology: A New Methodology for
* Jans Aasman and Craig Norvell: Unification of Geospatial Reasoning, Temporal Logic,
& Social Network Analysis in an RDF Database
* Brock Stitts: Intelligence Analysis and the Semantic Web
For inquiries please write to the conference co-chairs:
Kathryn Blackmond Laskey C4I Center and SEOR Department 4400 University Drive, MS 4B5 George Mason University Fairfax, VA 22030-4444 klaskey at gmu.edu <mailto:klaskey at gmu.edu>
Department of Computer Science
4400 University Drive, MS 4A5
George Mason University
Fairfax, VA 22030-4444
dwijesek at gmu.edu <mailto:dwijesek at gmu.edu>
Bill Andersen (Ontology Works) Selmer Bringsjord (Rensselaer Polytechnic University)
Dennis Buede (Innovative Decisions, Inc.) Werner Ceusters (University at Buffalo) Randall Dipert (University at Buffalo)
Katherine Goodier (US Department of Defence/NCI)
Kathleen Stewart Hornsby (University of Iowa) Terry Janssen (Lockheed Martin Corporation) Kathryn Blackmond Laskey (George Mason University, co-chair)
Nancy Lawler (US Department of Defense)
Kevin Lynch (CIA)
Dan Maxwell (Innovative Decisions, Inc.)
Fabian Neuhaus (NIST)
Leo Obrst (MITRE Corporation) Steven Robertshaw (UK Defence Science and Technology Laboratory) Barry Smith (University at Buffalo)
Duminda Wijesekera (George Mason University, co-chair)
Innovative Decisions, Inc.
National Center for Ontological Research
George Mason University Center of Excellence in Command, Control,
Communications, Computing and Intelligence
-------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: not available Type: text/html Size: 19207 bytes Desc: not available Url : https://mailman.uib.no/public/corpora/attachments/20081112/b013b057/attachment.txt