[Corpora-List] the vocalo-sonorant quotient

Angus Grieve-Smith grvsmth at panix.com
Tue Nov 4 13:48:30 CET 2008

On Tue, 4 Nov 2008, Yuri Tambovtsev wrote:

> The total of the frequency of occurrence of vowels and sonorant
> consonants in the sound speech chain allows us to judge if this or that
> language sounds melodically (musically).

Not my definition of musicality. For example, I consider Brazilian Portuguese to be much more musical than Carribean Spanish, but I believe it allows more complex consonant clusters, and thus has less vowels and sonorants. Tone contours are what make the difference for me.

-Angus B. Grieve-Smith

University of New Mexico

grvsmth at panix.com