[Corpora-List] Ten questions regarding psycholinguistics

Linda Bawcom linda.bawcom at sbcglobal.net
Sat Feb 16 08:01:35 CET 2008

Dear List Members,

Try as I might, I have been unable to get queries answered which I have sent to authors of articles dealing with psycholinguistics, or simply psycholinguists (perhaps because they are too simplistic or perhaps because they might take too much time to answer). I am therefore hoping that some kind person on the list might be able to answer the following ten questions, or suggest a book that could answer all of them, or perhaps know of a list such as this one for those in psycholinguistics.

Kindest regards,

Linda

General Questions:

What is:

1. What is masked priming?

2. What is a principal component analysis?

3. What is a neural generator?

4. What is masked priming?

5. I understand what a prime is, I am uncertain as to what is meant, in some experiments, by the target (i.e. faster evaluative decisions were observed when the target was preceded by an evaluatively consistent prime)

Below I have underlined that which I don’t understand

1. The N400 effect was introduced to the language literature with a within sentence implausibility paradigm.

2. Using a double lexical decision task rather than a non-response prime followed by a lexical decision target has been argued…

3. Local and global semantic processing. . .were characterized by differential effects on ERP amplitudes.

4. This automatic evaluation can lead to affective priming effects.

5. . . .examining whether discourse context can overrule the impact of the core lexical semantic feature animacy. (Is this word being used in the sense of a grammatical category?) -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: https://mailman.uib.no/public/corpora/attachments/20080215/c5c7498c/attachment.html